Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Sunday, 1st October 2006




Today was my last day in Nepal. Once I have done my job, I am always anxious to get back home. This time I had no contact with home.
We went downtown quite early this morning. The whole population was celebrating one of the biggest Hindu festivals: Dasain. It had something to do with worship go the goddess Durga (Kali), which is a goddess of death and destruction.
There were two or three days of celebrations, meaning that a lot of shops were closed and traffic was very light. An historic event was that the king wasn’t invited to the opening ceremony, this was the first time in the history of Nepal.
Lots of blood sacrifices were being made in a carnival atmosphere. Long queues formed to go inside the temples to make homage to the various idols and gods, including the Kamari (the living goddess = a little girl).
The whole thing was disgusting!

We met up with Pastor Harari from Nepalganj. He was so happy and grateful, that we had done the seminar at his church. He told us that he people were also very happy.

At about 4pm I began to start my farewells and proceed to the airport. The roads were quite empty of traffic and so I made it to the airport in record time of about 20 minutes. The following security check and airline check-in also were quickly completed. Then the waiting started. Funnily enough that also seemed to pass very quickly and the airplane took off 15 minutes early. Now I begin to concentrate on coming home.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger